Friday, May 25, 2012

The Eternal Feminine

Play: The Eternal Feminine
Playwright: Rosario Castellanos
Style: Modern, Comedic
Character: Mama (F)

Mama

A decent wife has no motive for being happy ... and if she has, she hides it. She has to keep in mind that her innocence has been blemished, her chastity violated. A lamb of sacrifice, she has just given herself up to satisfy the brutal appetites of the beast.
     What beast? Why, your husband, of course. And, no, you're not going to come out and say that you liked it, because, if so, I'm going to think all of my struggles to bring you up right were in vain. I'm the one who took in sewing in order to pay for the most expensive schools, the most exclusive boarding schools. (She lets herself fall into an armchair and pretends to dry a nonexistent tear) So that, now, this is my reward. I'm not crying because with all the sewing I did for others, my eyes have dried up. But if I could cry ...

No comments:

Post a Comment